We are living in uncertain times right now. The situation changes daily with new challenges to overcome. We are all feeling the strain. So what can we do to manage the stress and regain some much-needed sense of wellbeing?
Focus on what you can control
Research shows that doing something (no matter how small) is the best way to manage anxiety. There is a lot we can’t control right now but there are also things you can do, and simply taking action can help us feel in control and therefore happier.
Here are some ideas:
- Connect with others – Helping others is good for you. Setting a client on the right path or helping to solve their current challenges and issues over a call not only gives them much needed assistance but is also great for your own sense of wellbeing.
- Achieve one thing on your to-do list – When you’ve ticked an item off your to-do list the satisfaction of achieving something is powerful. Sometimes the tasks that you put off aren’t so bad after you put your mind to it. Aim to achieve one thing each day to shorten that list and give you a sense of accomplishment.
- Time out – Enjoy a really great cup of tea or coffee, spend time outdoors, talk to friends, engage in something constructive – even a jigsaw puzzle! (unlike much of our normal work activities, a jigsaw rewards you with something to show for your efforts). Give yourself time to switch off and re-energise.
- Movement – Our bodies weren’t designed to sit at a desk all day. Being active for just 30 minutes a day improves your physical and mental health. Exercise not only gives you a welcome distraction from worries by forcing you to shift focus, it also prompts your brain to release chemicals that improve your mood.
- Routine helps – Our normal routines have changed and it’s easy to spend longer hours at your desk working and missing out on usual breaks. Try to stick to a routine each day so you control your working hours. And get a good night’s sleep.
- Reflect – Take time to reflect on your achievements during the day. Those little mindful moments can all add up to a great sense of peace and accomplishment. Something we could do with a bit more of when we’re feeling pressure or stress.
Stop. Pause. Breathe.
Breathe deeply and appreciate the feeling for a moment. Then go about the rest of your day with a well-deserved sense of satisfaction. You deserve it!
Anxiety and stress are a normal part of everyday life, but not when it takes over. If you’d like more resources for yourself or someone you know, the Health Navigator website has resources as well as a list of mobile phone apps for anxiety, stress, depression, and general mental health.
BOMA is a marketing tool for accountants and bookkeepers. Communicate with clients and prospects with ease from one platform. BOMA gives you expertly written advisory articles and free images so you can create emails, newsletters, and social posts in minutes.
Nothing comes close to BOMA in marketing your firm.
Find out how BOMA can help with your digital marketing.